Monday, January 24, 2011

"Lazy" Pulled Pork

I have been craving pulled pork sandwiches lately.  We were out at one of our favorite restaurants for lunch on Saturday afternoon and I saw a Carolina style pulled pork sandwich on the menu and was done.  I knew instantly what I wanted to eat.  What I neglected to notice was the "Carolina" style part.  This meant the barbeque sauce was a vinegar style, not the goopy, smokey sauce I was thinking of.  The sandwich was great  but it didn't satisfy my craving for sticky bbq sauce.  So, I stopped at Trader Joes on the way home and picked up a pork tenderloin and a bottle of Kansas style (smokey, ketchupy, sticky) BBQ Sauce to make my own pulled pork for dinner the next day.  This was an experiment on my part - I had no idea how it would turn out.  My plan was to braise the pork tenderloin in the bbq sauce in my slow cooker - all day, nice and slow.  Typically, one would use a pork shoulder for slow braising so I didn't know if a tenderloin, which is a very lean cut of meat, would cook through and fall apart the way I wanted it to.  My fear was that it would end up a hard lump of boiled meat.  But, not so!  After about 7 hours in the crock pot on the low setting, it fell apart at the touch of my fork.  It was even better two days later, after sitting in the fridge in the gooey bbq sauce.


BBQ Pulled Pork
About 1.5 lbs pork tenderloin
1 bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce - enough to cover the meat in the crock pot.
Cut the tenderloin into approx. 3-5 inch long pieces.  There were two pieces in my package, so I cut each one into three pieces.   Cutting it makes it fit in the crock pot and makes shredding easier after it is cooked.
Put the pork in the bottom of the crock pot. 
Pour enough of the bbq sauce to cover - I used about 3/4 of the bottle.
Set the crock pot on low and leave alone for 7 or more hours.  It may take less or more time depending on the thickness of the pork loin.  After about 6 hours, you can check to see if the largest piece shreds easily - if not, keep cooking. 
Once done, remove from crock pot and shred.


Serve on your favorite roll with a side of coleslaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment